My LPC, (Legal Practice Course)

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Anyone got any paint they want watching dry?

I used to enjoy revision, no honestly, I did. It was the culmination of a year's study and would finish in that glorious climax known as the exam. After which I would collapse spent and enjoy that post toil glow of satisfaction.

But this, this is not fun. I'm not even sure whether I've actually done anything this week. I've sat at my work station, I've typed, read and printed. I've hole punched and put those little adhesive hole reinforcers on my work...but have I actually done any revision?

Not really, I'm happy with what I have done but it feels a bit, well pointless I suppose. There's no denying that time flies while I'm fiddling with my files (and not when I'm fiddling with my flies) and sure enough the exams will be on me with the speed of a very swift thing.

I'm on course to hit the exams at optimum thrust, I got a bit behind with a bad Wednesday but have caught up today.

Tomorrow I have insolvency to bag, Company to finish Tuesday, Crime on Weds and then for Thursday a real treat-the CPS have finally got back in touch (I'm not saying it had anything to do with what I wrote here last week but (*'taps nose'*) there is power in the written word).

After a bit of nagging I received my letter from them on Wednesday, it had been sent from Liverpool 1 week before. What happened? Did the Royal Mail tortoise have knee problems? Granted, they don't like the cold and this weeks snow would cause them serious damage with their short legs 'n' that, but a week! (And it was sent first class too-goodness knows how long I would have had to wait if they had sent it second...)

Anyhow, I've got to go up to 'that London' for an....assessment. Not even a swoddin interview! As a warm up for five days of exams the following week (totalling over 12 hours) I have a little practice doing a;
  • 'Proactive thinking written test' (I kid you not, those are the words on the sheet) and a
  • 'Case study written test'.
I have been sent an example of the PTWT (my acronym, not theirs)

"You are the Marketing Manager of an organisation that is planning to open up a new health club and gym on a green field site on the outskirts of town.
List as many ways as you can to publicise this new venture to attract new members to get the gym off to a good start:"
There are then 20 lines to write in-you have 4 minutes to write your rubbish.

Great, my future may depend on what some psychologist has decided (for this week) what criteria are relevant for a job that they will never do.

The trip will take me two hours (minimum) each way. The test itself will take 2 more hours and is slap bang in the middle of the day. Oh well, must put a positive face on it!
  1. I can do a bit of criminal law study (useless for the course but fun)
  2. It gets me out of the house and these 4 walls
  3. I get to travel on the tube (strikes permitting)
I do lose a days revision-but that may be for the best. Too much of a good thing 'n' that **cough**

The other main news of this week was that I had my second oral assessment. I would like to think that I passed this one but I'm not holding my hopes too high.

The idea is that you interview a real person who has rehearsed a script and is immersed in their part (the College likes to hire 'resting' theatricals) and you have to ask the right questions to 'open them up' so that you can get the full story and then advise them on the law.

To help you, you are allowed to take in a 'checklist' of the marking criteria which forms a nice little list of things that you are meant to say and in what order to say them.
The area of law that you are advising on is quite slim (partnership law) and you may take in one other sheet with the relevant law on it.
Our tutor identified that there are 4 things that you can be tested on and we were advised to prepare sheets for all of them and take in the most appropriate.

Easy huh?

Unfortunately, no

When I got given my sheet telling me (in 1 line) what my client was calling about, it was on a subject that I did not have a sheet on (I had prepared 7 to cover all the bases). So I took what I believed was the most appropriate and scribbled stuff from the second (and third) most appropriate on the back.

I then went up to the room and had a brief chat to the tutor who would be examining me. The good news is that unlike my advocacy tutor this one didn't look like I had shoved a fresh doggy doo under her nose. She was friendly and kind-she realised that I was nervous and let me go at my own speed.

I opened the office door and welcomed in 'Nellie' (our luvvie) who was a really friendly, bright and attentive lady in the twilight of her working career. Well, as expected I gabbled, jabbered, got flustered and flubbed the most important parts of the law.

I didn't dry up completely but did have a second of two of goldfish impersonation. The sheet that I had brought in had been no use whatsoever and I mostly had to wing it. Fortunately, there are some questions that can be applied to all partnership interviews. I spoke, I advised and we talked about her next step. Before long the interview came to an end.

I saw Nellie to the door and started to collect my things.

The good news was that the tutor was friendly, chatty and happy to look me in the eye. I won't read anything into that but it made me feel better than at the end of advocacy. I believe that I said all the relevant things in the relevant places (but then I thought that in advocacy) so it comes down to;
a) how quickly did I speak?
b) how much drivel flowed out of my gob?

I slipped away and caught up with Nellie, I said 'thanks' to her (she had played her part superbly) and light heartedly apologised for charging her for half an hour of my time (at £100/hour) when I only took 15 minutes. She smiled and told me that I was about average for time but couldn't say any more...

Oh well, as I've said before, once you've failed one you don't give a toss anymore....

Silver linings 'n' that


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home