My LPC, (Legal Practice Course)

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Better living through chemistry or a mixture of results

This weekend has a nice friendly buzz to it, I've had a look at the prep for the early part of next week and it looks quite light, so I'll just catch up on a few minor bits of consolidation and desk tidying and...finally get my Sunday off! Hurrah!
(granted, I did spend most of the morning cleaning up the flat for the first visit of my landlady-but it wasn't staring at a text book or listening to a video lecture, so-result!)

BTW, I now reek of bleach and other cleaning materials, how long does that take to wear off?

The other reason for my buzz is that I had a doctor's appointment this week and got some fresh medication to help with my exam nerves. It would appear that the accepted medical cure for assessment anxiety is to get the patient off his tits. This may have contributed to my decision to ease off this weekend or it may just be that I'm a lazy old scrote.

Whatever.

I am now a lot more confident about the couple of exams I have to sit in the next fortnight. This marvellous advantage was gained with no loss.

Apart from £13 odd for the prescriptions..
*
*
and the nausea-don't forget the nausea. Almost threw up a number of times this week.
*
*
And the abnormal disrupted sleep patterns (on top of my normal disrupted sleep patterns )
*
*
oh, and the tightening of the throat.

But apart from the cost, the nausea, the sleeplessness and the constricted breathing what have the Roman's done for us? I mean what else has been less than perfect?

Oh, yeah-the loss of appetite....(hang on though, that's a definite plus...) RESULT!!!

Anyhow, time to climb off the cyber-couch and stop giving myself cheap therapy. I shall focus on the week that's just gone. As soon as the giraffe wearing the purple posing pouch moves out of my peripheral vision...

Solicitor's acccounts is 2/3 of the way gone, after tomorrow there will be no more classes and we''ll have to learn it in earnest for the exam on the last day of term. There is considerable trepidation amongst the class over this one. Even pre-spaced out I wasn't too fussed about this-an exam where there's a definite right and wrong answer is meat and drink to me. And since it is closed-note then memory and understanding play a huge part.
As long as I put the work in prior to the exam it shouldn't be a problem. The College are keen to state that 'you get out exactly what you put in'. So I could have the very first certificate made entirely out of cow pats.

But quite a few of my colleagues are worried about it-one of the problems with this place is you have no idea how well (or badly) you are doing. The only piece of work we have had back is the practice writing assessment that although it was marked didn't actually say 'pass' or 'fail'. Which is pretty weird after 12 weeks! This week, however, we shall receive our mock papers back and that could be a real eye opener. So, I can see a lot of people worrying because they are not sure whether the level of work they are doing is high enough-but will the mock results be any help? I mentioned before the 'statistic' that 80% of students fail the mocks-I've now been told (by a different student) that the figure is 93% (how precise is that?!). It can probably go one of three ways if you have a poor set of marks.

1) it inspires you to get down to it and work harder.
2) you think 'so what? the College fail a majority of students'
3) 'Oh god, I am so worthless, I want to paint my walls black and listen to emo'

Our first official scores dont get released to the 19th of January-about half way through the course! By then it's probably too late (but that black room looks great-love the cow's skull...)

Mmm, I think that I've got distracted...where was I? Oh, onto Tuesday. New day, new course. We have a couple of sessions on probate (wills and who inherits when there is no will). This is an area of law in which I have personal experience so was expecting an interesting and informative time.
Except that the tutor was sick so we had a substitute. Speaking personally, I would have preferred to have had a tactful and delicate tutor to take us through this subject-our sub was far more 'robust' in his approach. Imagine being confronted with a jovial undertaker who likes to throw his voice into the casket 'just for a laugh'. Something not quite right there. Ho hum.

Thurday, we are accelerating wildly towards the end of civil litigation (and the start of criminal-hurrah!) and staged a mock trial. Since there are (still) 18 of us in the class, we had to split the roles up (with the tutor being judge). Again, there was an awful lot of trepidation but once it started we had a ball. My role to cross-exam a '18 year old school leaver who has a basic training in cooking but has been given the responsibility to stage a demonstration of flaming crepes Suzette' with predicatable and hilarious consequences. I took on board the importance of the following;

Do not ask any questions you do not already know the answer to.
You are allowed (in fact encouraged) to lead the witness
Ask closed questions (ideally those with a yes or no answer)-if the witness tries to explain by talking further then you say in a loud voice 'thank you, Miss.....' and cut them off.

It was great fun and I loved doing it-I just wish that class could have gone on (but we overran by 20 minutes as it was). Although we have been promised that one of our 5 criminal lit sessions will also be a mock trial (BTW the criminal lit textbook is the thickest textbook we have at 779 A4 pages and there are only 5 workshops-including the trial, mmm could be tad of background reading)

'Hey, Cottontail-what are those two big lights?' 'Hmm, don't know Flopsy-let's ask Mopsy'. 'Hey Mopsy!'

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllcccccchhhhhhhhh!!!

Mmm, must have been a juggernaut...that must mean it's Friday and time for business law. Ah bliss, I love this class as much as projectile vomiting razor blades. (of course, if I get a good mock mark it'll become my new bezzie mate. How fickle am I?) Yet again, a class about selling shares and acting in an ethical manner. I shall not go into any details because I can feel the waves of nausea rising-perhaps it wasn't the medication after all...

So, the new week. What beckons? Well in addition to getting our mock scores back there is an optional class last thing on Friday talking over the papers. Hmm, 'optional', they have got to be joking, right? I have a PLS lecture to go to (I have decided that I will attend this one, but if it sucks like the last did then I shall call it quits there) and I have now received my details for the advocacy assessment-it looks quite dull compared to my practice (this one is to do with a debt owed in a family-yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn.)

Oh well, I suppose that I can keep it by my bed and deal with my sleep problems...

RESULT!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home