My LPC, (Legal Practice Course)

Sunday, January 14, 2007

How do you see yourself?

Do you ever, in your minds eye, see a vision of yourself and say,'oh god, I so do not want to turn into that person?'. Now if that's confusing to you (and I couldn't understand it myself), I'll give an example instead.

In my minds-eye, I've always seen myself as a fairly cool guy. Very laid back, witty and the sort of person you could invite to a cocktail, dinner or a chimps tea party. Always ready with a quip or a bon mot to break the ice or ease the tedium.

**thinks bubble** I think someones minds-eye needs a sight test.

Anyhow, that's how I want to see myself-it may need some (some!!!) work but hey-we can try to improve ourselves, right? So, imagine how I'm feeling in the last week or so. The course has taken a twist for me. We are actually studying stuff that's relevant to my situation.

In the last weeks we've done;
-law of leases-I have one (and was a pain in the butt to the letting company over it-10 pages, no punctuation (just paragraphing) complete drivel, pah! It wouldn't pass the CofL drafting criteria in a million years)
-criminal law-my love and what I've done work experience in (as well as putting together a defence and evidence for my first ever representation), and
-unfair dismissal/redundancy-a situation Ive seen as a redunder, a redundencee, sacker, sackee, trades union officer and independent witness

The only problem is that I've become anorak boy. I keep saying, 'well, when I was involved in...blah de blah". I swear my voice has become even more nasal and whiney-and I soooo do not want to turn into that person. I am one step away from saying,

"Oh yes, of course the B257 doesn't pass through Carshalton-it should of course but got diverted at Romford and becomes the A211-except of course the part that ends up in the M3, ho-ho (snort)"

BTW the writer takes no responsibility for people who are so dim to take this as an accurate road map, let 'em get lost. I call it survival of the fittest....

Right, that's the preamble out the way. (I swear it gets harder every week) Now on to the important stuff.

I have come up with a new theory. I have a suspicion that the compulsory part of the course used to be about 2 weeks longer. As we quickly move to the end of it, we are getting deluged with preparation. It does appear to be the CofL way-start a course slowly then towards the end, cram in all the little subjects that can't make a whole workshop on their own. And although the course is legal PRACTICE with the emphasis on getting a feel for what a trainee will have to do when they start in a firm, we are getting a fair bit of theoretical law as well.

Monday was leasehold property again. The emphasis this week was on wording a rent review clause in a commercial lease. Since these usually run for 10+ years, there has to be a mechanism so that the landlord can raise the rent from time to time to keep up with inflation/property prices generally. Now although I can't see myself doing this in my life, I did find it interesting. But tied in with this we have the spectre of leasehold covenants.
For non-law students or those who haven't tackled these-you are the lucky ones. I studied them in the last year of my undergraduacy (and then decided to not waste my time when it came to the exam-I would have been better off to have written a story about snails instead (like I did once in a geology exam at Exeter University-a long (and silly) story, another time perhaps?).

That dredged up a memory of a story that I was told about 20+ years back of a student at a 'modern' university who cracked under the strain of work and during an exam got up on his desk and shouted, 'I am an orange and oranges do no take exams!' and walked out.

Back to the LPC-what the f(heck) do I do about the legal theory we are getting? Do I spend time studying it and taking notes? Time is precious at the moment. I do not want to spend it on something that is no use to me come the exams. Going back to leases-covenants didn't come up except in the vaguest terms. Do I turn my brains to mush again trying to get the stuff in or cross my fingers and hope? Can I phone a friend please Chris?

Rent review is meant to be one of the hardest subjects we have to do. I found it pretty easy-which must mean that I got completely the wrong end of the stick...

"Oh yes, if you look at my lease you'll see that's the case, I have it in my briefcase next to my copy of Traction Engines Monthly"

Tuesday was a new subject-insolvency. The joy of advising clients about when their business is going to go belly-up and what they can do to salvage the paper clips. This means that we are doing 3 classes a week on business law (whoop-de-frickin-doo). But being fair, it was an enjoyable class. The tutor is older than the usual CofL lecturing age (which is about 35-40..bloody kids!) and more of a fatherly figure to the rest of the group.
Our table did particularly well though it was probably helped that the tutor appeared to have a soft spot for one of the our pretty young ladies. Personally I think its disgusting that an older man hangs around with women young enough to be his daughters and flirts with them.

**cough**

**ooops**

I feel so embarassed

After a short break, we slipped into our large group lecture. This week we must have had twice the number of the previous week (though probably less signatures on the register..) Why do we have to sign the register? I understand that the college sets great store on punctuality and attendance-I haven't missed a session (apart from that one where I got double booked with a pro bono work night)-but not every class has a register and it gets circulated some weeks and not others.
**Note to self** I have to get the notes written up fairly punctually because two of the class couldn't make it and I promised to send it to them-I'll do it Wednesday.

Wednesday. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! Doing consolidation for 2 workshops and the large groups took me 4 hours! in the workshops we are getting lots of practical exercises that we attempt then the tutor takes us over the answers and we correct our work. My handwriting is not good (rushed and scrawly) so I type up everything (please god, let my laptop make it through this year) and it takes ages...

I then prepped for Criminal (a bit of oasis-like joy in the desert of my life) and business (the broken glass in the cheese-cake of life). The next thing I now its coming up 6pm. Blocks-there goes another day.

Thursday
The criminal case has now moved to
  • funding for the scrotes ('Paul's technical' term)
  • first court appearances (Magistrates)
  • bail applications (and reasons why it might get refused)
And examples and problems for us to tackle. I think (despite all the time I spent) my prep was inadequate on bail, so I will have to look at that over the revision period. I desperately want to do really well on the crim lit exam so that;
  1. it'll bring up my overall litigation mark
  2. I have a real desire to be top in something
The library here has a number of wooden plaques on the wall showing who has won various academic prizes in the last few years. I have no idea if there is a prize for criminal lit (I'm never in the library long enough to find out) but I would love to leave my print on this place in some way. (although I may have a better chance by waiting for some fresh concrete to be put down)

Anyway as I said to the table in crim;
"of course, when I was in the cells at Torquay, locked in on my own with a man who was being interviewed about an assault I told him about my collection of bus tickets and you know he actually looked bored-would you believe it? (snort)"

To follow that we has a consolidation session on criminal litigation. Yes, that's right-after only 2 workshops, we had consolidation. I swear I can hear oxygen molecules being wasted...

My tails twitching, it must be Friday and business. But wait, what is this? A vaguely different twist. We are doing employment. Hurrah! Something potentially interesting. Dismissals and redundancies-brilliant stuff. (BTW I still cant spell employment-I keep missing the 'o'. This may be awkward when I start my options, emplyment law being one (yes, that was deliberate-but it felt sooo natural)

Fortunately, my previous experience as trades union officer held me in good stead.

"of course, when I was acting as an advocate for this poor girl who was up to be dismissed for gross misconduct I managed to hold the tribunal spellbound whilst I explained all about s.29 of the Employment Act 1982 and how it really applies to workers who have a contract of employment for service and not a service contract which of course is a totally different thing..."

If I ever become that person, please shoot me. It's for my own good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home